Call Us 24/7 For Help
Patrick T. Barone
The DUI Book
A Michigan Citizen's Handbook on Fighting a Drunk Driving Case
Receive a Free Copy
of The DUI Book.
Michigan DUI Penalties
Drunk driving is more than a traffic violation - it is a serious crime with lasting consequences. If you have recently been charged with driving under the influence in Michigan, it is important to hire a qualified DUI attorney to provide a thorough defense and to ensure that your rights are upheld during your legal proceedings.
Michigan DUI penalties are not limited to court-related consequences; in fact, there are many other consequences that may occur in your personal life that stem from a drunk-driving conviction.
If you are convicted of a DUI in Michigan, it is on your record forever - a drunk-driving offense is not eligible for expunction. For a misdemeanor, you face up to one year in jail. If convicted of felony DUI, you might spend up to five years in prison. You can pay up to $5,000 in fines (plus surcharges) and you may be ordered to have an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle, at your expense. Driving under the influence is also the only motor vehicle offense that is tracked by the FBI's database.
Your driver's license will be suspended or revoked, though the length will vary depending on prior drinking and driving convictions. Multiple offenders have lifetime license revocations, though they may be eligible to request a hearing for reinstatement.
If convicted of DUI, your auto insurance rates will go up and you will be required to have an SR-22 policy for three years. Your life insurance company may deny your policy or even raise your rates, considering you high risk. The same applies to your health insurance, if you have an individual policy.
A DUI conviction can also affect your employment. When applying for a job, you will be forced to check the "yes" box that asks if you have any convictions on your record. Some employers will terminate employees immediately if convicted of drunk driving. There are also some professional licenses that may be revoked for having a DUI on your record.
As you can see, the consequences of a DUI conviction are life altering. If you have questions about Michigan DUI penalties, you should contact the Law Offices of Patrick T. Barone. The attorneys at this firm are known for their experience, dedication, and knowledge. Contact them today for a consultation.
• The Cost of a Michigan DUI
• The Emotional Impact of a Michigan DUI
• Hiring a Michigan DUI Attorney
• Retain the Representation of the Barone Defense Firm
• About Michigan Breath Test Defenses
• Michigan DataMaster Information
• Call The Barone Defense Firm Today
• The Michigan DUI Book
• Other Problems with the DataMaster Breath Machine
• Conviction Consequences for a DUI in Michigan
• Michigan DUI Counseling Information
• Defense Strategies for a Michigan DUI
• About DUI Discovery in Michigan
• Michigan DUI Investigation FAQ
• Our Dedicated Lawyers and Support Staff
• All DUI Lawyers are Not Created Equal in Michigan
• What are the Potential DUI Penalties in Michigan?
• Michigan DUI License Suspension
• About the Michigan DUI Plea Bargain
• How to be a Witness for Your Own DUI Case
• Michigan DUI Field Sobriety Testing
• Definitions of OWI laws in Michigan
• What is drunk driving Per Se crime in Michigan?
• Michigan DUI Pre-Trial Motions
• Sample Michigan DUI Jury Selection and Trial (Part 1)
• Sample Michigan DUI Jury Selection and Trial (Part 2)
• Sample Michigan DUI Completed and Opening Arguments (Part 3)
• Sample Michigan DUI Jury Trial (Part 4)
• Am I Going To Jail For DUI
• DUI Arrest Information and How the Barone Defense Firm Can Help
• Deciding on Trial in a DUI Case
• How to Beat the Breath Test
• Drunk Driving Arraignment
• The Drunk Driving Pre-Trial
• OWI First Offense Information
• About Sobriety Court Law
• The New DUI DataMaster (DMT) Machine
• Super Drunk Law Information
• Parts of the DUI Trial Process
• Sentencing for Drunk Driving
• About The Barone Defense Firm Team
• Unreliability of Field Sobriety Tests