Call Us 24/7 For Help
Patrick T. Barone
The DUI Book
A Michigan Citizen's Handbook on Fighting a Drunk Driving Case
Receive a Free Copy
of The DUI Book.
Michigan DUI First Offense
Being arrested and charged with DUI/OWI doesn't just happen to bad people. For many, this is the first time that they have ever been in trouble with the law. Unfortunately, the penalties for first-time Michigan DUI offense are quite severe. If you have recently found yourself charged with drunk driving, your first call should be to a qualified DUI defense attorney.
In Michigan, the legal alcohol limit for those over the age of 21 is .08 percent. If your blood alcohol content, or BAC, is over the legal limit, you will be charged with drunk driving. You may also be charged with drunk driving if the officer believes that your ability to drive is substantially lessened by the consumption of alcohol (OWI) or lessened to the point it would be noticed by another person (OWVI).
A first DUI offense, without extenuating circumstances, is classified as a misdemeanor. There is the possibility of jail time involved in the sentence - the maximum jail sentence is 93 days, though most first-time offenders will not spend that much time in jail. Judges in some courts do routinely give jail time for even first time offenders. Your experienced DUI attorney will be able to tell you if you are facing such a judge.
If you are charged with OWVI, you may pay extremely large fines. If you are charged with OWI because you are OUIL or BAC Per Se, then you will spend even more in fines.
For an OWVI offense, your license is restricted for 90 days, while an OWI offense because of OUIL or BAC Per Se results in a 30 day suspension and 150 days of a license restriction. In some cases, the court may order that your vehicle is immobilized, or impounded.
You may be ordered to attend a court-approved DUI/OWI School. The judge may also sentence you to perform a maximum of as many as 360 hours of community service.
Michigan has enacted a Zero Tolerance Law, which was created to deter minors from drinking any alcohol before operating a vehicle. A minor with a BAC over .02 percent is in violation of this law. This is a misdemeanor, and the penalties include up to 360 hours of community service and very large fines.
It is important to know that a DUI stays on your driving record for life. This may affect your insurance coverage and rates as well as current and future employment.
If you are interested in discussing your Michigan DUI first offense with an attorney who is experienced in DUI/OWI law, contact Barone Defense Firm today. They can discuss your case and determine the next steps you should take.
• The Cost of a Michigan DUI
• The Emotional Impact of a Michigan DUI
• Hiring a Michigan DUI Attorney
• Retain the Representation of the Barone Defense Firm
• About Michigan Breath Test Defenses
• Michigan DataMaster Information
• Call The Barone Defense Firm Today
• The Michigan DUI Book
• Other Problems with the DataMaster Breath Machine
• Conviction Consequences for a DUI in Michigan
• Michigan DUI Counseling Information
• Defense Strategies for a Michigan DUI
• About DUI Discovery in Michigan
• Michigan DUI Investigation FAQ
• Our Dedicated Lawyers and Support Staff
• All DUI Lawyers are Not Created Equal in Michigan
• What are the Potential DUI Penalties in Michigan?
• Michigan DUI License Suspension
• About the Michigan DUI Plea Bargain
• How to be a Witness for Your Own DUI Case
• Michigan DUI Field Sobriety Testing
• Definitions of OWI laws in Michigan
• What is drunk driving Per Se crime in Michigan?
• Michigan DUI Pre-Trial Motions
• Sample Michigan DUI Jury Selection and Trial (Part 1)
• Sample Michigan DUI Jury Selection and Trial (Part 2)
• Sample Michigan DUI Completed and Opening Arguments (Part 3)
• Sample Michigan DUI Jury Trial (Part 4)
• Am I Going To Jail For DUI
• DUI Arrest Information and How the Barone Defense Firm Can Help
• Deciding on Trial in a DUI Case
• How to Beat the Breath Test
• Drunk Driving Arraignment
• The Drunk Driving Pre-Trial
• OWI First Offense Information
• About Sobriety Court Law
• The New DUI DataMaster (DMT) Machine
• Super Drunk Law Information
• Parts of the DUI Trial Process
• Sentencing for Drunk Driving
• About The Barone Defense Firm Team
• Unreliability of Field Sobriety Tests